Thursday 24 February 2011

Flash animation in progress part 2

I'm almost finished work on the six commercial animations I have been producing this week. Here are some examples of the last one I'm working on. Before I do anything on the computer I first have to come up with an idea and then storyboard how I think it should happen. That storyboard is then given to the people I am working for and then they get back to me with any changes they think are necessary. When I first started animating I just emailed what I was going to animate, something simple like 'The anteater picks up some flowers and he sneezes, blowing them all over the screen' and then I'd go off and animate it, but then I would have to make changes when there was something in the sequence that wasn't favored, which was very time consuming, so a lesson learnt. I'm completely self taught so I never had the correct course of action pointed out to me. Nowadays I storyboard everything first so that any major issues can be ironed out before hand.

Once I know exactly what is happening I can then get to designing the scenery, props and all the different elements that will make up a character, from arms and legs, to winks and grins. Most of the time I will vector the image completely in Flash but if there is a lot of detail to design I will ink out a picture by hand, live trace it in Illustrator and then convert the vectors into Flash to be coloured and broken down into separate symbols and layers.






No comments: